PLACES OF INTEREST

TROMBAY.

Trombay, [The name Trumb or Trombay seems to be closely connected with Mumbe or Bombay, Mumb and Trumb forming one of the jingling couplets of which the people are so fond. Of their meaning no explanation has been offered.] from its shape known as Neat's Tongue, north latitude 191' east longitude 73, lies about three miles east of Bombay, from which it is separated by a creek. It is about five miles long and five miles broad. Except to the north-west, where are some well-tilled and richly wooded lands, it is surrounded by a fringe of salt marsh and mangrove swamp. The centre rises into a great ridge of trap rock which runs nearly north and south, and from which a spur stretches eastwards at right angles to the village of Trombay. The main ridge is nearly two miles long, and rises gradually from the south to the north end, where at a height of 1000 feet is a Trigonometrical Survey station. The hill is scarped towards the west. Basalt dykes run about south by west from its southern point; a little further north, towards the village of Trombay, they run east-south-east and west-north-west. In the south-west, the shore is crossed by a group of parallel basalt dykes which stretch a considerable distance towards Bombay. Further west the shore is basalt mixed with trap. Opposite the Green Island three or four dykes run a little to the east of north and west of south, parallel with the long diameter of Bombay and its ridges. [Dr. Carter in Jour. B. B. R. A. S. VI. 169.] According to some authorities the Trombay village of Chembur on the north-east of the island is Symulla, which was a famous emporium in the time of Ptolemy (150) and perhaps of Pliny (77). For the reasons stated in the account of Chembur, Chaul would seem to be a more likely identification of Symulla than Chembur.

The island contains several ruined Portuguese churches. One on the shore, in the village of Trombay, is a ruined church with a well-preserved vaulted chapel, 22 feet long 22 high and 22 wide. The body of the church, which is said to have been dedicated to the Saint Anthony whose image is in Mane church, was broken down to let the road pass. Some traces of the vestry and of the vicarage may still be seen. Close by is a garden and a very old well. On a slab in the chapel is an inscription with the dates 1620 and 1630. [The inscription runs, ' Here lies buried D. Francisco Telesforo de Menezes, who died on the 2nd April 1620, and the remains of D. Caitana de Menezes his daughter, wife of D. Braz Henriques, who died on the 28th November 1630, and his heirs.' The Portuguese is, AQUI JAZ DOM FRANCISCO TELESFORO DE MENEZES FALECEO EM | 2 DE APRIL DE 1620 ANNOS, E AQUI JAZ DONA | CAETANNA DE MENEZES SUA FILHA MOLHER | QUE FOI DE DOM BRAZ HENRIQUES FALECEO | EM 28 DE NOVEMBRO DE 1630 | E DB SEUS ERDEIROS.] On the top of a hill facing this building is another ruined church with a well-preserved body and chapel and roofless vestry, corridors, and vicarage. The body of the church measures 26 feet long by 14 wide and 19 high, and the arch of the chapel is eight feet wide and 19 high. There is also a churchyard forty-three feet by twelve. This church was dedicated to Our Lady of Health whose image is kept in the Mane church. About 100 feet from the church ten steps lead to a round pedestal on which is a cross, and close by there is another ruined building 42 feet long by 25 wide and 9 high. None of the villages of the island are of any size. Trombay itself is a hamlet with a few huts, post and sea-customs offices, and a salt store. The sea trade returns for the five years ending 1878-79 showed average exports worth 47,519 (Rs. 4,75,190) and average imports worth 6306 (Rs. 63,060). Exports varied from 14,092 (Rs. 1,40,920) in 1878-79 to 84,939 (Rs. 8,49,390) in 1874-75, and imports from 4063 (Rs. 40,630) in 1878-79 to 8575 (Rs. 85,750) in 1875-76. [The details are: Exports, 1874-75 84,939 (Rs. 8,49,390), 1875-76 52,151 (Rs. 5,21,510), 1876-77 48,859 (Rs. 4,88,590), 1877-78 37,557 (Rs. 3,75,570), 1878-79 14,092 (Rs. 1,40,920); Imports, 1874-75 7276 (Rs.72,760), 1875-76 8575 (Rs.85,750), 1876-77 7128 (Rs. 71,280), 1877-78 4487 (Rs. 44,870), 1878-79 4063 (Rs, 40,630).]