PLACES OF INTEREST

TITVALA.

Titva'la, in Kalyan, a small village of 625 people and a station on the north-east branch of the Peninsula railway, lies about seven miles north-east of Kalyan. The station is in Manda village, Titvala being a mile to the north-east. The Kalu and Bhatsa rivers meet near Manda village, and both rivers are navigable to this point or a little further. The railway returns show an increase in passengers from 17,833 in 1873 to 32,567 in 1880, and in goods from 1164 to 4644 tons. In 1675 Fryer, in his journey to Junnar, notices it, under the name Intwally, as a town standing in a large groye of mangoes on the bank of a deep creek, which, though fordable in the fair season, was a torrent in the rains. On reaching Intwally, Fryer shaded himself under a mosque, ' the only structure standing in the town, it suffering the same fate with Gullean (Kalyan), and then reeking in its ashes, the Moghal's army laying waste all in their road, both villages fodder and corn; and for their cattle they drive them along with them, and take them, their wives and children for slaves; so that none escape except those that fly fastest, or hide themselves in the woods which they also set on fire, to leave them destitute of those recesses.' [New Account, 124.] A yearly Muhammadan fair is held at Titvala and Manda.