Sirgaon Fort stands in Sirgaon village, on the sea-coast about three miles north of Mahim. When surveyed in 1818, its western face was washed at high tides by a narrow inlet or backwater which stretched a short distance to the south. The fort was oblong with a mean length from the interior of about 200 feet by about 150 in breadth. Almost all the fortifications were of solid masonry in excellent order, with a height of thirty and a depth or thickness of ten feet, including the parapet which was seldom more than three feet wide. The defences of the fort consisted of three towers and a bastion at the remaining or south-east corner, whose parapet and escarpment were greatly out of repair. Nearly half the space of the fort was taken by buildings for the garrison and stores. The walls of these buildings were still standing but they were hardly habitable. A well supplied a sufficient quantity of sweet water. In 1818, the village of Sirgaon and numerous trees came so close to the fort that none of the adjoining ground to the north and east could be seen, and, under cover of the trees, the fort might be approached unperceived to the very foot of the works. In 1862 the fort was described as having a ruined west wall, though the land side was fairly preserved. Supplies of water and food were available. Close under the fort is the school which now occupies the old traveller's bungalow. Sirgaon fort was taken, with Katalvada, Dahanu, Kelve, and Tarapur, by Chimnaji Appa in 1739. [Nairne's Konkan, 83.]