PLACES OF INTEREST

MURBAD.

Murba'd, about fourteen miles south-east of Titvala station and eighteen miles east of Kalyan, on the line of high road now being made from Kalyan to the Malsej pass, is the head-quarters of the Murbad sub-division, with, in 1881, a population of 2932,of whom 2743 were Hindus, 187 Musalmans, and two Parsis. It is a mamlatdar's station and has a subordinate judge's court, a post office, and a school-house built in 1864-65 at a cost of about 190 (Rs. 1900). A public works rest-house has also been lately completed.

The place is growing, and contrasts well with the poor village, 'not able to afford a house or shed,' which Dr. Fryer found in 1675.[New Account, 125.] Now every square yard of available ground in the village site is built on and more is being yearly demanded. On the night of the 10th December 1827 the village was visited by a gang of thirty-five robbers, who attacked the treasury and carried off 1321 (Rs. 13,211).[Collector to Government, 448 of 26th July 1828.] There is a good market and a large colony of Kayasth Prabhus.

There are seven Hindu temples, SHRI RAM'S, built in the time of the Peshwas and repaired in 1866-67 by private contribution; it enjoys 135/40 acres of land assessed at 14s. (Rs. 7). SHRI MAHADEV'S, built by Ganesh Pant Patankar, the Peshwa's governor of Kalyan, and repaired in 1880 by private contribution. SHRI MARUTI'S, built in the time of the Peshwa, burnt in 1828-29, re-built by the late Govind Shamrav, mamlatdar of Murbad about 1831, and repaired about 1860 by private subscription. SHRI GANPATI'S, built about four years ago by private contribution and maintained by the Prabhu community of the village. SHRI VITHOBA'S, built about eighteen years ago by private contribution and maintained by the people of the village. SHRI DEVI'S, built by private contribution in 1854-55, repaired in 1866-67, and maintained by the people. SHRI JARI MARI'S, situated outside the village, was built about 1876. There are two reservoirs towards the south of the village, about sixty paces apart. The larger is known as the Mothe Tale or Big Pond and the smaller as the Kund or Cistern. In the Mothe Tale are two wells, built in 1863-64 at a cost of 74 (Rs. 741), including the cost of clearing the reservoir. The water of the reservoirs is used for washing only, and that of the two wells in the Mothe Tale for drinking from April to June, when almost all the village wells are dry.