PLACES OF INTEREST

MANORI.

Manori, in Salsette five miles west of Borivli station, has 1600 Christians and a church dedicated to Our Lady of Help, built by the Portuguese in 1559. It was burnt by the Marathas and rebuilt by the parishioners in 1815. It measures fifty feet long by thirty broad and eighty high, and is in good repair. The priest has a large house and is paid 1 10s. (Rs. 15) a month by the British Government. The sea trade returns for the five years ending 1878-79 show average exports worth 10,656 and average imports worth 5137. Exports varied from 7039 in 1875-76 to 12,628 in 1876-77, and imports from 2543 in 1875-76 to 6954 in 1876-77. [The details are, Exports, 1874-75 12,124 (Rs. 1,21,240), 1875-76 7039(Rs. 70,390), 1876-77 12,628 (Rs. 1,26,280), 1877-78 9180 (Rs. 91,800), 1878-79 12,309 (Rs. 1,23,090); Imports, 1874-75 5258 (Rs. 52,580), 1875-76 2543 (Rs. 25,430), 1876-77 6954 (Rs. 69,540), 1877-78 5133 (Rs. 51,330), 1878-79 5797 (Rs. 57,970).]