PLACES OF INTEREST

MANIKGAD FORT.

Ma'nikgad Fort, in Manikgad village, on the hill of the same name about fifteen miles south-east of Panvel and about 1878 feet high, is impregnable from three sides, and the upper part can be reached only from the south. The fortifications on the top, which are of extremely rough workmanship, were probably raised by Angria, to whom it was ceded in 1713 by the Peshwa. [Mr. Cumine's MS.; Grant Duff's Marathas, 193.] In 1862 the fort was ruinous. Water was abundant and food supplies available. [Government List of Civil Forts, 1862.]