PLACES OF INTEREST

MANE.

Mane, in Salsette, about four miles east of Kurla with a Christian population of ninety-two, has an old well-preserved church dedicated to St. Anthony, measuring thirty-seven feet long by 21 wide and twelve high. The parish priest, who has a good vicarage, draws 1 10s. (Rs. 15) a month both from the British and from the Goa governments. There is no master. During the conflict of jurisdiction between the Archbishop of Goa and the Vicar Apostolic of Bombay, half of this village sided with the Vicar Apostolic, and a separate church was built about 1852 and dedicated to St. Anthony. Fifty feet from the church are the ruins of two Portuguese buildings.