PLACES OF INTEREST

MALVAN.

Ma'lvan, in Salsette, about four miles south-west of Borivli station, has a population of 750 Christians and a church dedicated to St. Anthony. The church was built by the Portuguese and measures eighty feet long by twenty broad and twenty high. It is in good repair and has an excellent vicarage. It was originally affiliated to the Poinsar church, and in 1839 was formed into a separate parish. The vicar draws 1 (Rs. 10) a month from the British, and 1 10s. (Rs. 15) from the Goa government. There is a master who plays the violin in church but there is no school. Not far from the church are two ruined Portuguese houses.