PLACES OF INTEREST

GUMTARA FORT.

Gumtara Fort, in Bhiwndi on a hill 1949 feet high, about fifteen miles south of Takmak and close to the village of Dugad, is a place of great natural strength. In 1818, of the outworks which once enclosed the only accessible part of the hill, in many places nothing remained but a low wall little better than a heap of stones. About the gateway, at the head of a very steep and narrow watercourse, 400 feet from the top of the hill, were the remains of fortifications. The water supply was from seven cisterns cut in the rock near the gateway.