PLACES OF INTEREST

GOREH.

Goreh, a mile north of the Vaitarna in Vada, near the south spur of Koj hill, is a village of 128 houses chiefly of husbandmen. It was probably from this town that Ptolemy took the name Gaoris for the Vaitarna river. [A pensioned mamlatdar, a resident of Goreh, remembers Goreh being the station of the Peshwa's Subhedar, when, in 1817, the British took over the North Konkan. The Subhedar had the forts of Asheri, Gambhirgad, Koj, and Takmak under his charge. The old office at Goreh was sold by the British Government and the headquarters moved to Vada. Mr. W. B. Mulock, C.S.]