Gambhirgad Fort, in Vyahali village twenty-two miles east of Dahanu, has the ruins of works chiefly on the more accessible parts of the hill. The hill, though very narrow and small-topped, is 2270 feet high, and has a base which is many miles round. In 1818 all that remained of the fortifications was, on the brow of the hill, a low retaining wall of loose stones, about 120 feet long, without parapet or defence and with a bamboo gate in the middle. The huts for the garrison were near this gateway. Water had to be brought from a distance from a cistern near the top of the hill. In 1862 the fort was in ruins. It had water but no supplies.