PLACES OF INTEREST

DUGAD.

Dugad, a prosperous village about nine miles north of Bhiwndi, with, in 1881, a population of 575, is perhaps Ptolemy's Dunga. It is famous for the defeat of the Marathas by Colonel Hartley in 1780. On the 8th December, hearing that the Marathas intended to throw troops into Bassein then invested by General Goddard, Colonel Hartley, with a force of about 2000 effective men, marched from Titvala near Kalyan, fifteen miles north-west to Dugad. On the 10th, the Maratha general, Ramchandra Ganesh, with 20,000 horse and foot, thrice attacked the Bombay division in front and rear. On each occasion he was repulsed with little loss to the British, though two of the slain, Lieutenants Drew and Cooper, were officers. Next day (December 11) the attack was renewed, the well-served Maratha artillery causing the British a loss of 100 men, of whom two, Lieutenants Cowan and Pierson, were officers. During the night Colonel Hartley strengthened with a breastwork and guns two knolls which covered his flanks. Next morning the Marathas advanced in front and rear against the right of the two knolls, Ramchandra leading a storming party of Arab foot and 1000 infantry under Signior Noronha a Portuguese officer. A thick morning fog helped Ramchandra to reach close to the piquet. Then the mist suddenly cleared and the guns did surprising execution. Ramchandra died fighting gallantly, Noronha was wounded, and the Marathas, dispirited by the loss of their leaders, retired in haste and with great loss. [Grant Duffs Marathas, 439.]

The villagers still find bullets in their fields after the first heavy falls of rain at the break of the south-west monsoon. The large tomb without inscription in the village of Akloli, three miles to the north, was probably raised in honour of Lieutenants Drew, Cooper, Cowan, and Peirsor. On the Gumtara hill close by are the remains of an old fort and water cisterns.