PLACES OF INTEREST

DHERI.

Dheri, two miles south of Umbargaon, then known as Darila or Dary, seems to have been a place of some importance in the sixteenth century. In 1583 when they took it from the Kolis, the Portuguese found a considerable number of great stone and tiled houses. [De Couto, IX. 257; XI. 346; Nairne's Konkan, 45.] Under the name Dary, Ogilby (1670) mentions it as a town near the sea. [Atlas, V. 214.] The 1881 census shows a population of 1372, of whom 1260 were Hindus chiefly Dublas, 109 Parsis, and three Musalmans.