PLACES

PIMPALNER

Pimpalner, with in 1961, 7,733 inhabitants and formerly the head-quarters of the Pimpalner sub-division, is an important village in Sakri taluka lying under the hills on the Panjhara about 64.37 km. (40miles) west of Dhulia. It has a full-fledged dispensary, a family planning centre, a sub-centre of veterinary dispensary, a branch of the district central co-operative bank, a sub-post office and a rest house. Pimpalner is probably a place of considerable age because in 1630 it is mentioned as the place of defeat of the rebel general Khan Jahan. [Badshah Noma quoted in Elliot, VII. 16, 17.] Recently a Chalukya copper-plate of 4th century has also been discovered here. There is a large trade in rosha grass from which oil of medicinal value is extracted. It is generally sent to Surat. On the river bank to the west of the village, is an old fort now used by the medical officer. To the north is a very old large temple of Ram, and in the woodland to the east are a reservoir and a Mahadev temple of considerable age. Besides the remains in Pimpalner itself, numerous fragments apparently of the same class of buildings as the hemadpanti temples, are scattered in many of the villages at the foot of the hills south of the Panjhara. These fragments are generally single pillars curiously carved, evidently very old and often built into other buildings. The most conspicuous is in a village 8 km. (five miles) south of Pimpalner. There is also a Hemadpanti reservoir at the, village of Indra 9.65 km. (six miles) north of Dusane, on the road. to Malpur.

 

TOP