Sironca, the headquarters of the tahsil of the same name was a place of much greater importance when it was the headquarters of the old Upper Godavari district. It is 180.24 km. (112 miles) to the south-east of Canda and 98.17 km. (61 miles) from Aheri with both of which it is connected by a good motorable road. When in 1860 it was selected as the site of the sadar stat on, it consisted merely of a few huts on the river bank and the total population was just under 500, but it rapidly grew and today the population is 3,420 (1961 Census). Sironca is pleasantly situated on the left bank of the Pranhita, two miles (3.21 km.) above its confluence with the Godavari, and 109.72 metres (321 ft.) above sea level. It enjoys a very salubrious climate. On a ridge overlooking the river stand the survivors of the old civil station buildings, the most notable of which has now been converted into a rest house. It previously was the bungalow of the Deputy Commissioner. Until 1885 two companies of Madras Native Infantry were quartered here but to-day nothing is left of their barracks or the military buildings. The old district jail which was later reduced to the status of a subsidiary jail and still later used to accommodate only local offenders is now used to house the judicial court. A part of the tahsil building is used as magisterial lockup. Sironca once possessed a fort which was built in 1698 A.D. has an inscription on its principal gateway indicated. It appears to have been built under the auspices of one Haidar Wali Sah, a short time before this part of the country passed under the possession of Velama family. This fort figured prominently in the later history of Sironca [For details see Chapter II.]. When the district passed under the British dominion it was considered advisable to dismantle the fort, and as anybody who cared to do so was allowed to take stone from it, the process of dismantling was pretty thorough and quick. Much of the stone was used in the construction of the jail which now houses the judicial court, and many other public buildings. Thus the memory as well as the trace of an historical monument was totally erased. Haidar Wali Sah, who is supposed to have built this castle was a holy man and is the patron saint of sirofica, where he lies buried and whither his tomb attracts many Muhammedans from the surrounding country at the time of the annual urus. Sironca. has also sacred associations for the Hindus owing to its location close to the confluence of the Godavari and the Pranhita rivers and pilgrims from many parts of India flock here at the time of Simhastha which takes place once in twelve years. On the confluence, but falling within the borders of Andhra State is an antique shrine of Kalesvar-Muktesvar which is being renovated. The village has a fair export of jovar and til but no manufactures of any kind. Rice is also grown but is locally consumed. Being the headquarters of a tahsil Sironca, besides the mamlatdar's office, has the office of the pancayat samiti, civil and criminal courts, a police station, a post and telegraph office and a rest house. There is a civil hospital with fifteen beds as well as an outdoor patient department and a veterinary dispensary. Among educational institutions there is a high school and two middle schools besides primary schools. The American Methodist Episcopal Church has established a mission here and the mission buildings occupy the site of the old barracks. Water is obtained from wells and the river. Weekly bazar is held on Mondays.