Sindevahi is the large village in Brahmapuri tahsil on Mul-Umred road about 24.14 km. (fifteen miles) north of Mul and 45 miles (72.42 km.) from Candrapur. The Candrapur-Nagbhid railway line passes through the village, there being a station at Sindevahi. It is pleasantly situated on the wide wooded plain bordered by low hills. The village is wholly agricultural, rice and sugarcane being the principal crops raised. Jovar is taken as a winter crop. Water for irrigation purposes is drawn from a large tank at Gadmansa, a place about 3.21 km. (two miles) away from the village. In order to increase the paddy yield in Vidarbha region a research centre was set up at Sindevahi in 1957-58. This centre not only carries out research in the agricultural field but also produces seeds and has a training centre attached to it imparting training to Agricultural Development Officers. The centre now trains the gram sevaks and sevikas too. Gram sevikas are also trained in home science. Arrangements
are also made to give training in carpentry and blacksmithy to
the desiring youths from the nearby villages. On the upkeep of
this centre a total of Rs. 1.50 to two lacks is spent annually by
the Union Government. The village population in 1961 was
6,923. The cultivators belong mainly to the Kohli, Gondli and
Salevar castes. A few Marathas are also engaged in agriculture.
Sindevahi was gifted by Vyankoji Bhosle to his nephew Gajaba
Dada. There is a temple dedicated to the great local saint
Somesvar Maharaj. It was founded some eighty-five years ago.
Besides primary schools, Sindevahi has a high school, pancayat samiti office, a primary health centre, post and telegraph office
and a rest house. It is the headquarter of two forest ranges viz., South and North Sindevahi. Two Deputy Engineers, one
each for Buildings and Communications, and minor irrigation,
are posted here. There is one saw mill and four rice mills of
which one is organised on co-operative basis.