Rajura is a municipal town and the headquarters of the tahsil
of the same name lying hardly four miles across the Wardha from Ballarpur. Two miles east of it is the railway station of Manikgad on the Wardha-Madras route of the South-Central Railway thus giving it the advantage of rail transport. Rajura tahsil previously formed a part of Adilabad district of the ex-Hyderabad State. It was transferred to Nanded district in 1956 and made a part of Candrapur district in March 1959. On account of the different set of rules and regulations in force, Rajura is actually notified as an independent district and division in itself, but for all administrative purposes, is placed under the Collector, Candrapur, who is responsible to the Divisional Commissioner, Nagpur Division [District Census Hand Book, Chanda, 1961.].
The municipality at Rajura was established in 1954 and started functioning with an elected council from February of the same year. Its committee is composed of fifteen elected councillors presided over by a president who in turn is elected by the councillors from among themselves. As per the 1961 Census the municipal jurisdiction extended over an area of 0.3 sq. miles only.
Finance.-In 1966-67 the municipal income derived from sources like taxes, municipal property and powers apart from taxation, grants and miscellaneous stood at Rs. 41,846.42. Expenditure incurred due to collection and general administration,
public health, safety, etc., came to Rs. 37,394.66 during the same
Health, Sanitation and Water Supply.-The medical needs are
met by a Government Civil Dispensary which has an attached maternity ward. Only a nominal fee is charged for the treatment given. The town has also a few private medical practitioners. A veterinary dispensary maintained by the Zilla Parisad besides helping the growth of live-stock by means of artificial insemination, also treats the sickly animals and birds. A few kutca drains constitute the drainage system of the town. At present the inhabitants solely depend upon well water. But a water-works to be installed on Nalesvar nala about two furlongs west of the town is likely to make tap water available by 1972. It is estimated to cost about three lakhs of rupees.
Education.-Compulsory primary education programme is implemented by the Zilla Parisad. Of the four primary schools three are Marathi and one Urdu. The town has two high schools of which one is conducted by the Zilla Parisad and the other though privately conducted receives a substantial grant from the Government. A library is maintained by the municipality.
Cremation and burial places.-They are maintained and used by the communities concerned. However, the municipality is planning to take those over and equip the cremation grounds with sheds and other necessities. It is also planning to have a vegetable market for which there is no shed and platforms at present.
Among the objects claiming antiquity may be listed the remnants or rather the outlines of a fort, and two temples. A large platform like structure is pointed out as the remains of a ground fort where once stood the tahsil office. A small part of the southern wall of this fort is still seen and is built of long whitish cut sand stone. On the same side is a blocked entrance flanked by fairly artstic figures of dvarapalas. The antiquity of this ground fort is put earlier than that of the Ballarpur fort. In a field to the north stands a 5x1¼ feet pillar called Bhatstambha bearing a cavalryman's figure with a much abrased inscription. It appears that the stambha commemorates some fallen hero in a battle. Not far away, to the south of the town, is an ancient shrine of Somesvara Mahadev, said to have been built at the command of Kholesvara, the general of the Devagiri Yadavas. In front of this temple is a built in tank with steps on all the four sides leading up to water level and a few cloisters or owaris around it. The temple is built of black dressed stone. To the west is a temple of Bhavani reported to be built by Janoji Bhosle of Nagpur. It is deeply revered.
Rajura is primarily agricultural, cotton being the staple crop. Jovar, wheat and a few other crops are also grown. The only other industry is the pottery and tile manufacturing, there being a tile factory. A few Kumbhar families are engaged in the manufacture of earthen vessels and bricks. Rajura has a sale
and purchase union and a branch of the district central cooperative bank. Five miles from Rajura are the Sasti coal mines
employing a large number of people. Rajura being the tahsil
headquarters has Mamlatdar's office, Civil and Criminal Courts,
a pancayat samiti, a police station and post and telegraph office.
There is also a fine rest house. On Saturdays is held the weekly
bazar. Of late a recreatonal club has started functioning in