Cimur, a large and thriving village in Waroda tahsil lying
about 77.24 km. (48 miles) north of Candrapur and 53.10 km. (33 miles) distant from Waroda, is situated on the Patalganga or the Uma, a tributary of the Andhari. The layout of the village is excellent and in 1961 had 7,005 inhabitants. The inhabitants are mostly Marathas with a sprinkling of Telugu traders and artisans. There is also a strong body of Brahmans attracted hither by the religious associations of the place. Cimur in ancient days was counted among the important places of Hindu pilgrimage. In the bygone days Cimur had a fort whose existence is indicated by a large mound and to which a reference is to be found in the list of the old forts of Madhya Pradesh. However, the importance of Cimur lies in the antique temple of Balaji which has a great reputation, and the Ghoda ceremony
which is held two days prior to the annual fair. It is said that the image of Visnu or Balaji was discovered by one Bhika. Patil, a Kunbi while digging the plinth of the shed for his cattle. He constructed a small temple to house the idol and appointed a priest for its worship. The priest, Devajipant Corghade, prayed the god everyday that if he became a sardar he would construct a grand temple replacing the small one. It so happened that Devaji actually rose to a position of high rank in the service of the Bhosles and in
fulfillment of his vow he constructed the temple that is seen to-day with the consent of Janoji Bhosle. It was he who instituted what is known as the Ghoda ceremony which is held in connection with the annual fair on the 15th day of the bright half of Magha. Situated to the west of the village the temple stands encircled by a courtyard wall with four bastions in four corners and two each fortifying the entrance gates on the east and west respectively. The main entrance is flanked by two tiger figures and its terraced top is adorned by two temple replicas with stairs leading up from inside. The gate opens on a fine garden beyond which stands the Garudastambha renovated at a later date by Sadasiv Bhatji Ghode. Passing the Garudastambha one comes in the Nrtya sala or dancing hall, beyond which is the Kirtan said. Herein one can find wooden images of Garuda, Maruti, dvarpalas, etc. On its walls were paintings depicting Gajendra moksa, Krsnalila, Bakasur-mardana, Maricavadha etc., but these were wiped off owing to constant white washing. It was renovated at the orders of Bajirav Bhosle alias Raghuji III who chanced to visit it once. On crossing the Kirtan sala one faces the stone-built sabhamandap and the sanctuary crowned by a 6.09 metres (20 ft.) sikhar with a gold plated spire. The sanctuary contains the four-handed idol of the god which was re-installed by Devaitpant Corghade on Sravana Vadya 8, Saka 1694 (A.D. 1772), on the completion of the temple that year. It is a very attractive and proportionately shaped idol canopied by a prabhaval with representations of Dasavtara and many other figures carved in relief. Through an air-hole in its eastern corner the morning sun rays fall upon the idol every day. Besides the main image there are those of Laksmi, Garuda, Maruti and many others, some of which are in padmasana posture. The Ghoda fair is one of the biggest fairs in the district and attracts a large number of people. Two days prior to the fair, Balaji's horse, which is of wood, with his image on it, is taken round the village and then back to the temple. The fair lasts for about 15 days and the daily average attendance is over 2,000 persons. Its importance is more commercial now than religious, and a number of traders attend from long distances. A considerable trade is done in rengis (carts) and cart-wheels and cattle are also brought for sale. The temple construction including the inauguration cost Devaji nearly two lakhs of rupees. The Bhosles had presented it with a gem-studded ornament with a lakh of rupees which was deposited in the Bhosle darbar in 1804 by one Vasudev Bapu Naik for fear of Pendhari depredations, It was never
brought back. The Bhosles had also made an annual grant of
1612 Nagpuri rupees and about 200 acres of land. Nearby is a
talav spread over an area of about sixty acres in which is planted the temple-flag.
Cimur has a good weekly bazar on Fridays and the trade is principally in cotton, grain, cotton cloth, carts and oil-seeds. A good deal of cotton cloth, known for its durability is manufactured by the local Kostis. There is also a fairly large community of Barhais who prepare carts for carriage of goods and rengis for travelling purposes which are well-known in this part of the country. Cimur is administered by a grampancayat and is the headquarters of a development block. It has a dispensary, a police station, a post, and a high school besides primary schools. There is also a Leprosy Survey and Education Treatment Centre. The buildings stand on a handsome square cleared over the raised area of the old fort facing the river. In the vicinity there are some fine groves together with several temples worth visiting. Cimur stands out as one of the villages which took active part in the 1942 Quit India Movement and in which a teenager by name Balaji Raipurkar was fatally wounded in the police lathi charge. The village is electrified and there is regular S. T. bus service to Nagpur, Candrapur and Wani.