MEDICAL AND PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICES

CONTROL MEASURES.

Malaria and Filaria.

The peculiar natural conditions prevailing in the district pertaining to temperature, rainfall, humidity etc. are conducive to breeding and longevity of the mosquitoes. Malaria season generally coincides with the onset of monsoon. The Malaria control measures were first started in the district in January, 1948. Three Malaria Control-units have been established in the district and all the three talukas have been covered under Malaria eradication scheme. Two rounds of D.D.T. spraying in every house in a year have been carried out. Radical treatment is also provided under the scheme. In 1961, 22 Malaria positive cases were detected during surveillance from Rajura taluka. Hence 26 villages of that taluka were given a third round of spraying from 15th to 24th December 1961.

People in Chandrapur district are exposed to the risk of filariasis infection along with the districts of Nagpur, Bhandara, and parts of Wardha district besides the talukas of Bassein, Palghar and Dahanu in the coastal areas of Thana district. A National Filaria Control, Unit was established at Chandrapur on July 3, 1958. The headquarters of the unit has been shifted to Mul where the field laboratory has been established. Under the anti-larval measures, the scheme was extended to two towns and 73 villages covering a population of 1,13,126. The total consumption of oil from April 1961 to March 1962 for the above purpose was 1,21,787.58 litres.

On receipt of intimation of outbreak of Cholera in an epidemic form, prompt steps were taken by the authorities to organise mass anti-Cholera inoculation work in the affected and threatened areas of the State. Temporary Cholera regulations under the Epidemic Diseases Act of 1897 were applied to the affected parts of the district besides disinfection of water sources with bleaching powder. During the year 1964, 3,12,329 persons were inoculated against Cholera. During the year 1967, the number of persons inoculated against Cholera was 51,133.

The main cause for the prevalence of Cholera in the district is the lack of safe and protected drinking water supplies to a majority of towns and villages. Out of the total number of villages in the district, 26.44 per cent are still without any drinking water facility while 36.12 per cent of the villages have inadequate water supply. Wells are the main source of water supply while only five towns have been provided with piped water supply.

However, Cholera did not appear in the district in an epidemic form due to prompt measures and vigilance maintained by the public health authorises and the number of inoculations performed in the district.

Under anti-T.B. campaign B.C.G. vaccination programme is in force in the district since 1951. Five teams were working under B.C.G. campaign from 1951 to 1960. During the year 1961, the second round of B.C.G. vaccination was carried out in the district of Chanda besides those of Ahmednagar, Poona,  Bombay, Kolhapur, Dhulia, Nasik, Nagpur, Amravati and  Bhandara. The following statement gives the review of the  vaccination work done in the district in 1961 along with the  work done during the second round in the same year only in  Chandrapur taluka.

REVIEW OF VACCINATION WORK DONE IN THE DISTRICT IN 1961.

Taluka

Total Tested

Positives

Negatives

Absents

Vaccinated

Nos. Not vaccinated

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

(5)

(6)

(7)

Chandrapur

25,099

10,855

12,034

2,210

12,032

2

Warora

16,737

7,571

7,513

1,653

7,509

4

Brahmapuri

35,444

15,458

15,746

4,240

15,721

25

Chandrapur*

13,615

6,641

6,056

918

6,056

--

*Second round.

The following statement gives the statistics of B.C.G. vaccination in the district.

Year

Total Tested

Total Positives

Total Negatives

Total Absents

Total Vaccinated

Total Not vaccinated

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

(5)

(6)

(7)

1963

111

35

45

31

45

--

1964

847

262

334

251

654

--

Up to 1963-64, 6,70,922 persons were tested and 2,94,275 were vaccinated. Besides, 2,804 new born were also vaccinated.

Chandrapur has the highest incidence of Leprosy in the State and is put at 18.07 per thousand. To combat Leprosy, two Leprosy centres have been established in the district, one at Mul in 1955 and the other at Gadhchiroli in 1960. A private hospital working with missionary zeal named Anandwan, located at Warora has 300 beds and is dedicated to the services of Leprosy. At the Mul centre, 1,902 out-door patients were treated during 1960 and at Gadhchiroli 79 were treated during the same year. Besides these two centres, there are 15 survey, education and treatment units out of which 8 located at Chimur, Armori, Pathari, Chamorshi, Sironcha, Rajura, Sindewahi and Nagbhid in the district provided treatment to 1,051 outdoor patients in 1960.

Small-pox.

Small-pox broke out in an epidemic form in the district in1957 and 1958 and took to11 of 211 and 156 lives respectively. Number of deaths reported from Small-pox during 1961, stood at 14 With a view to checking the occurrence of and achieving eradication of the disease, mass vaccination drive has been undertaken in the district. Under the scheme, 6,42,000 persons from the district were vaccinated by the end of 1962.

TOP